Since it re-opened, we have been wanting to stay at the Battle House Renaissance Hotel in Mobile — it was built in 1908 on the site of Andrew Jackson’s headquarters here during the war of 1812, and at the original Battle House hotel (that burned at this site, previously), Stephen A. Douglas was a guest the evening he lost the presidency to Abraham Lincoln. The hotel closed in the mid-70s and was bought and renovated by the RSA, and reopened in 2007. It’s just so pretty.
This skylight is original to the rebuilt 1908 Battle House:
These are trompe l’eoil — portraits of King Ferdinand V:
King George III:
…and Louis XIV:
Not Front Desk, but the button for ‘Delighted to Serve’:
…and we had a great view of Mobile:
The hotel is right downtown, so it is perfect for walking to anything — anything on Dauphin Street, the Outlaw Convention Center, Bienville Square, Gulf Coast Exploreum…