Okay! More graveshelters. First, in Magnolia Cemetery in Greenville, Alabama is this remnant of a graveshelter. The Library of Congress has this image of how it appeared back in the ’30s:
The cemetery also has some Victorian cast iron monuments (many more of these type can be found in Pioneer Cemetery in Greenville):
This statue of Reverend F.W. Ward (1857-1925):
These monuments were all painted with a coat of white house paint:
This is the graveshelter at the Fort Dale Cemetery (also in Butler County), and the LOC also has a photograph of it from the ’30s. In their pic, there are a few more graveshelters here, but they are gone now.
Tin roof, wood structure, dirt surface.
Shingle roof, wood structure, pea gravel surface. The roof of the shelter is painted haint blue to keep the wasps out.
At the New Home Cemetery in the Basin Community, near Elba on County Road 413:
Terra cotta roof tiles, fully enclosed brick structure, sand surface.
In Alberton, on AL Hwy 134 at New Life Baptist Church:
This is a ‘swept cemetery’ as people have taken care to try to keep the surface clean from grass growing by applying sand and pea gravel.
Now this is something *really* different. It’s in the Harrison Cemetery in Kinston, and is the monument for William “Grancer” Harrison (1789 – 1860), known as ‘Grancer the Dancer’.