An issue of Body and Soul Magazine (one of Martha’s magazines) had a recipe for home-made lip balm, so I decided to give it a try. It turned out *great* and these are going to make fabulous little mini-presents for my friends!
Here are the ingredients:
I got some of the ingredients and supplies from Majestic Mountain Sage – cocoa butter, beeswax, shea butter, lip balm tubes and caps, and plastic pipettes. I already had the honey and olive oil in my pantry. I bought vitamin E capsules from the grocery store.
This picture below shows from left to right – the beeswax beads (little waxy pellets), the shea butter (which has the consistency of shortening) and cocoa butter (which smells just a little like chocolate).
There’s a recipe section at the Majestic Mountain Sage site – which is how I originally intended to make my lip balm…but they have everything in weights, and I don’t own a little scale – then I saw the recipe in the magazine which was in regular kitchen measurements and I was all set!
My version is a little different from both of the other recipes, but I’m really happy with it and they turned out perfectly. Oh! One more thing. Other recipes call for adding essential oils, which is nice, but some essential oils are not safe for pregnant women, so I left them entirely out of my recipe.
My recipe makes enough for about 16 tubes:
2 tbsp. beeswax beads
1 tbsp. shea butter
1 tbsp. cocoa butter
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. honey
the liquid from inside one capsule of vitamin E
In a double boiler (I just used a measuring cup inside a medium-sized pot of simmering water), melt together the beeswax, shea butter, and cocoa butter.
Once those are mostly melted (the beeswax will be the last to melt completely), add the olive oil and honey. Stir throughout so everything gets mixed together really well.
Once everything is completely melted, prick a hole in the vitamin E capsule and squirt the contents into the mixture. Throw away the rest of the capsule.
I set my empty lip balm tubes into some little dishes I use for custards. The tubes were really good about standing up on their own without much help. I filled them almost all of the way to the top using the little plastic pipette, then went back with the little bit that was left in the measuring cup and topped them off so they didn’t have big indentions in the top:
After about an hour, I put the lids on and brought them to my crafting area to embellish a little bit. I took pretty scrapbooking paper, cut it 1-1/2″ wide and about 3″ long, then glued it to the center of the tube with Mod-Podge. I secured it with Mod-Podging over the paper, too, so it wouldn’t scratch too easily and would be even more secure. I was careful not to get the Mod-Podge anywhere close to the cap or the dial at the bottom of the tube so nothing would get stuck.